Frey Real Estate Group have entrusted Eiffage Métal with dismantling work on Lustucru’s historic hall, located on the Arles site. This operation will enable around 300 tonnes of steel structure to be dismantled in a few weeks and stored in its component parts.
This low-carbon steel building, constructed in 1905 by the Compagnie des Établissements Eiffel, is the only one of its kind, and is known as the “steel cathedral”.
It was first built in Marseille for the 1906 National Colonial Exhibition (Exposition coloniale nationale) and then used several times for various events before being transferred to Lustucru’s Arles site in 1951 for use as an agricultural hangar.
The Frey Group, which now owns the structure, plans to rebuild it on its original site in Marseille’s Parc Chanot and transform it into a shopping mall.