Philippe Fougerolle (1806-1883) founded the family company of public works, which took part in constructing the Nivernais canal.
Emile Quillery, a mason from the Berry province in central France, founded the family business at Saint-Maur-des-Fossés in 1863, not far from the urbanisation project conducted by Baron Haussmann to rebuild and transform Paris.
Société Auxiliaire d'Entreprises électriques et de travaux publics (SAE) was founded in Paris by the brothers Albert and Ernest de Marchena and Gino Valatelli from Milan.
The port’s creation started with two million tonnes of rockfilling work and the construction of 6 km of docks.
Three young chemist-engineers – Michel Trux, Marcel Reynaud and Alexandre Colon – created a company for the production of bitumen emulsion.
A large number of SAE’s 500 workers worked on the construction site of the “Autoroute de l’Ouest”, the prestigious project for the first French motorway, for four years.
Construction on the Tancarville bridge started in 1955. The bridge long held the record for the longest suspension bridge in Europe (1,360 m). It was commissioned in July 1959.
On 3 February 1984, the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy (now renamed AccorHotelsArena), a 55,000 m2 multi-purpose venue that can accommodate more than 16,000 spectators, was inaugurated by the Mayor of Paris after four years of work.
Beugnet delivered the “three thousandth” kilometre of motorway in France, later passing the 7,000-kilometre mark in the early 1990s.
The contract to extend Jakarta Airport buttressed SAE’s position as a leading international construction player.
Eiffel, today Eiffage Metal, built a pyramidal glass and metal structure symbolising the revival of the largest museum in the world.
One of the biggest employee buy-outs ever staged for a French company was launched.
SAE started digging the tunnel under the English Channel in May. The “project of the century”, linking France to England, became a reality.
The merger of Fougerolle and SAE gave birth to the Eiffage Group.
Spanning the mouth of the river Seine, the Normandy Bridge (2,141 m long) was inaugurated on 20 January.
The extension of the European Parliament in Brussels was completed.
Fougerolle, Quillery and SAE merged to create Eiffage Construction. Norelec joined Forclum.
Eiffage’s subsidiaries came together for the construction work on the Mediterranean high-speed line.
The buy-out of the company by its employees, launched in 1990, was concluded successfully.
Eiffage won a concession contract for 155 km of virtual toll motorways in Portugal.
Eiffage is the builder-concession operator of the Millau Viaduct, 2,460 m long, the highest cable-stayed bridge in the world (270 metres between the road deck and the ground below).
The fully automatic line 14, known under the project name Meteor (for “Metro est-ouest rapide”), was extended between the Madeleine station and its new terminus, Gare Saint-Lazare.
The French State chose Eiffage-Macquarie to take over its holding in APRR (Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhône), France’s second-largest motorway group.
The A’liénor consortium (65% Eiffage, 35% Sanef) won the concession contract for the 150 km-long A65 motorway between Langon (Gironde) and Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques).
Work started on the future 47,000 m2 headquarters of the French Gendarmerie (DGGN) in Issy-les-Moulineaux (Hauts-de-Seine).
The 44.4 km-long high-speed line between Perpignan in France and Figueras in Spain was delivered on time to the concession operator, TP Ferro, owned jointly by Eiffage Group and its Spanish partner ACS-Dragados.
Opening to traffic of the Tamarins expressway on Réunion island (34 km, 123 engineering structures) in June.
Laying of the first stone of the Dakar-Diamniadio motorway in Senegal, constructed by Eiffage as part of a 30-year PPP (public-private partnership) concession contract.
Eiffage celebrates 20 years of employee ownership, an unwavering success and a unique experience among large French companies.
Inauguration in December of the 150 km-long A65 motorway between Langon (Gironde) and Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques).
Eiffage and Réseau Ferré de France (RFF) signed the PPP (public-private partnership) for the construction of the Bretagne-Pays de la Loire high-speed line, a 182-km line between Le Mans and Rennes.
Commissioning in February of Cité Sanitaire de Saint-Nazaire (Loire-Atlantique), a 790-bed hospital centre. The first patients were welcomed in July.
Commissioning in August of Grand Stade Lille Metropole and its performance hall, renamed Stade Pierre Mauroy, in Villeneuve-d'Ascq on the outskirts of Lille (Nord department).
Inauguration on 4 December, the feast day of Sainte-Barbe, the patron saint of miners, of the Louvre-Lens Museum, the second regional offshoot of a Paris museum after Centre Pompidou-Metz.
Forty months of work and a peak construction workforce of 600 were required for this 47-floor building, weighing 135,000 tonnes.
The stonecutters and the master craftsmen of Pradeau & Morin completely transformed Hôtel Salé, a 17th-century mansion hosting the new Picasso-Paris national museum, the largest Picasso museum in the world.
The A466, opened in July 2015, bypasses the city of Lyon to link the A6 and A46 motorways and is the penultimate link in the Bordeaux-Geneva trans-European road. An €80 million investment for APRR.
Eiffage Construction is to construct Hypérion, a mixed wood and concrete building in Bordeaux (Gironde), a first in France.
Eiffage Benelux supervised construction work on the world’s biggest ship lock in the port of Antwerp: 500 m long and 68 m wide.
Posnania in Poznań (Poland) is an ultramodern shopping mall, with a total floor area of 320,000 sq.m, a lettable area of 100,000 sq.m, and 3,300 parking spaces.
The inauguration of the Bretagne-Pays de la Loire high-speed rail link on 20 June 2017 was the culmination of five years of work. This outsize project - 214 km of railway line - confirms Eiffage Group’s ability to conduct huge multi-system turnkey projects.